Thursday, October 13, 2011

ISA kicks off with a soccer tournament

Last Saturday, the PSU International Student Association hosted a soccer tournament at the Bicknell Sports Complex, each team had about eight players and this time there were female teams competing as well. The games started about 8 am and continued until 4 pm.
Yana Kirichenko, a senior majoring in Finance and Accounting from Kazakhstan was in charge of organizing the games that day and making sure everything runs smoothly, she was also in charge of timing the encounters.  
According to Abdulghani Almushir, a member of the winning team: ‘’As an international student, I think this kind of events helps us know each other better and no matter where you are from; you get to represent your country.’’
‘’For some of us, it also serves as a practice since we are part of the PSU Soccer Club and I would personally love if the University recognizes this as an official sport because even for the girls, it is a great experience,’’ said the sophomore in Mechanical Engineering.  
Valeria Romero, student from the Intensive English Program said: ‘’To me, it was incredible because I love soccer. It was also a great opportunity to make new friends and we had a good time together. It was really fun and we should do it more often,’’ she said.  
According to Giuliano Mora, junior in International Business: ''I would say that representing my country with my friends has been quite satisfying, because we are playing against teams all around the globe. I wish there were at least two of these tournaments per semester,’’ said the Paraguayan student. 
Pedro Lopes, senior in Business Management said: ‘’I think this is an experience that brings us together and help us know each other better, including the customs and traditions of other countries.’’
‘’As a Brazilian student, for me is nice to play a sport that is so popular where I come from and it is very interesting to see it being played in the US. This tournament is not necessarily about winning, it is mostly about having a good time and share experiences,’’ he said. 
According to Paloma Perez: ‘’It was fun and a different kind of activity. I enjoyed playing with all the girls, and it was a good day to get together as a team and also promote soccer at PSU,’’ said the first year postgraduate student in School Psychology.

Ben Hawksbee, junior in International Business said: ''It was a great opportunity to play against representatives of other countries and learn about their culture at the same time, all the students that are here today share a love for soccer, which is a universal sport,’’ he said.   

No comments:

Post a Comment