By: Adriana Perez
Brendan Finley enjoyed being hypnotized at the Overman Student Center last Thursday, ‘’Even though I am aware that I was hypnotize, I still don’t really remember much about what happen out there.. Especially about the fact people tell me that I started acting like a cow at one point,’’ said the 18 year old freshman student of Elementary Education.
‘’What made me consider doing it was the whole idea of being relaxed and not caring about what is going on, and just listening to him,’’ said Finley: ‘’If you are going to do it you really have to want to be hypnotized, it was definitely a fun experience and I think I made a good choice by volunteering because I love doing stuff like that..’’
According to Dale K, ‘’Hypnosis is simply a word that people came out with as a label to be used in movies and stuff, but my show is based on the power of suggestion, which is a total different thing. The more you get this people to trust you up here in the stage, the more comfortable they are with things, ’’ he said.
For example if I say: ‘’Is getting warm out here, the first time they will say no, then I say yeah.. It really is getting warm and they start to go.. Yeah it is kinda getting warm’’ and then they see other people getting warm and consequently they start to feel the same way, so you have to gradually push your statement until they become aware of it to a point that it becomes real to them.
Dale K says he can recognize when one of the participants behavior is not being genuine, especially in their responses because they might be faking it just to ‘’put up a show for their friends in the audience’’ and in that case they might have to go back to their seats because the dynamic is not right, ‘’they haven’t relax to a point that they’re going to accept anything and the reason it doesn’t work for them is because they’re nervous or distracted with something else.’’
According to Dale K, the reason he got into this field was that about twenty years ago, when he was attending high school, his dad was a part time clown so he grew up around variety acts and then when he saw his first hypnotism show he was simply blown away and said to himself ‘’Wow.. What is that?’’ and immediately went to libraries and read books, and continued studying it because ‘’you have to know a lot about it before you can built a successful show,’’ he said.
‘’For example, this specific environment is not very conducive for Hypnosis because the lights are bright, the crowd is loud and the speakers are humming so you have to learn how to focus beyond all that and I have to apply a proper technique to make it happen, and it depends completely in their ability to concentrate.’’
Dale K said: ‘’This is not a magic supernatural spell, it is simply the idea that they get confortable up here and they want to listen to my voice, it involves psychology and the power of subjection. It is a link that you can create by building trust between the hypnotist and the subject, and that is what makes them start to remember amazing things.’’
He said also that, if you want to learn to help people clinically, then you have to become a certified hypnotherapist and then you can work with individuals, helping them overcome their phobias, lose weight or quit smoking, you can also help them gain confidence.
‘’I travel all year and I meet so many different people with a variety of issues that they want to address, they feel like they need to reverse a disruptive behavior and you can actually alter those patterns using hypnosis. But it is important to remember that you are not going to get any physical change, because hypnosis is simply a tool that applies will power,’’ he said.
According to Dale K, ‘’The only case that is different than the others is when it involves weight loss because that is obviously a physical change, but the way it works is when hypnosis encourages you to take better and healthier choices, but you are the one making the decisions and this is simply a tool that helps you do that.’’
‘’People can ultimately learn how to hypnotize themselves, because is all about being self-aware of your own body. Self-hypnosis is a very powerful thing that is based on meditation and deep concentration.’’
Dale K said: ‘’Everybody can be hypnotized, there is a black and white rule that I’ve learned, which is that it won’t work on everybody, but I think it can.. It just takes some people longer than others to get to that stage, the quicker ones I can use for the show,’’ he said.
‘’I would want to keep everybody on the stage but it might take me two hours to get anything out of them and I’m not here for that, this is an hour long show so I have to keep going as fast as I can.’’
He does around one hundred and fifty shows a year, over seventy schools, also casinos and corporate events.
‘’Meditation and Hypnosis are very similar; the thing about meditation is that you are focusing on yourself and become engaged in a subtle self-south process. Hypnosis on the other hand, you can do it solo, one on one, or in a big group like this and it involves everything that is happening around them,’’ he said.
According to Dale K, hypnosis is different for everybody and the idea is that: ‘’In my show we try to get volunteers to relax, forget about stage fright and how nervous they might feel.’’
‘’When they finally get to that comfort zone, they are just willing to be suggestible. So basically the longer they are up here on the stage, the more they trust me and most importantly, the more they trust their own imagination,’’ he said
No comments:
Post a Comment